Duale promises to address UHC staff demands within three weeks

Director General for Health in the Ministry of Health Dr Patrick Amoth (left) during the official handover to the newly appointed (right) Cabinet Secretary for Ministry of Health Aden Duale at Afya House on April 1, 2025. [Standard, Kanyiri Wahito]

Health Cabinet Secretary Adan Duale has committed to resolving the ongoing concerns of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) staff within three weeks.

Addressing protesting healthcare workers outside Afya House on Tuesday, April 1, Duale pledged to engage all relevant stakeholders to find solutions to their longstanding grievances.

"I want to assure all Kenyans and key stakeholders that the Social Health Authority and UHC will work," Duale said during his first official engagement after taking over from former CS Deborah Barasa. "I have no other priority except aligning things at the Ministry of Health."

The healthcare workers from different counties have been staging regular protests since mid-February, demanding the fulfillment of promises made when they were initially hired. Many were recruited during the COVID-19 pandemic to address critical staffing shortages in the healthcare system.

Duale acknowledged the two main concerns raised by UHC staff representatives, conversion to permanent and pensionable terms, and payment of gratuity.

"I have asked your leaders to give me three weeks to consult with county governments, the National Treasury, Parliament, and the President," he said. "We must find a solution because there is no problem that cannot be solved."

The protesting workers, who had camped outside Afya House following weeks of strikes, are seeking equality in pay with their permanently employed colleagues despite performing identical workloads.

They also demand the remittance of their National Social Security Fund (NSSF) deductions, posting of interns, and the settlement of salary arrears.

Many UHC staff members have faced significant challenges, including salary reductions of up to 50 per cent after their initial three-year contracts expired. Despite previous promises of transitioning to permanent and pensionable terms, these commitments remain unfulfilled.

A meeting held on March 17 with Deputy President Kithure Kindiki failed to resolve the issues. The gathering included officials from the Kenya National Union of Nurses, Kenya Union of Clinical Officers, Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union, and United Kingdom Community Servers, representing the 8,571 affected UHC staff members.

"The failed meeting is an indicator of a failed system and shows the helplessness and lack of seriousness toward solving our five-year-old UHC issues," the workers declared after that unsuccessful negotiation.

Upon Duale's appointment last week, the healthcare workers immediately welcomed him with a strike notice for April 1, which they carried out by demonstrating outside the ministry headquarters.

The new CS has promised fairness and equity in addressing health sector concerns through consultative solutions that prioritise healthcare professionals' welfare, while also committing to strengthen Kenya's healthcare system and eliminate unqualified practitioners from the sector.

“As long as I am the minister for health, all stakeholders in the health sector will receive fair treatment at the ministry’s headquarters,” he said.

Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale on Tuesday committed to fight cartels at the ministry and also streamline the healthcare sector. 

“We must confront corruption head-on. We will not allow cartels to continue exploiting Kenyans at the expense of their health. I have a reputation as a bulldozer, and I will not hesitate to clean up this ministry,” Duale said.

In his address after assuming office, Duale acknowledged the challenges ahead.

“The task before us is immense, but my commitment is unwavering. We must build on these reforms to ensure that every Kenyan, regardless of their socioeconomic status, has access to quality healthcare,” he said.

Duale pledged to prioritise the full implementation of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and improve efficiency in the sector.

“We must streamline service delivery, enhance healthcare financing and ensure accountability. Healthcare is a right, not a privilege, and we will work tirelessly to make that a reality,” he added.

He spoke at his new office, taking over from Deborah Barasa. Duale vowed to lead significant health reforms and emphasised his commitment to eradicating corruption and inefficiencies in the system.

Duale outlined key commitments aimed at improving the sector, including ensuring the Social Health Authority (SHA) settles hospital claims by the 14th of every month.

He also pledged to increase the ICU and HDU bed rebate to Sh28,000 per day, along with increasing the Oncology package for cancer patients to Sh550,000 per person starting 1st April 2025.

“We will provide up to Sh5 billion in a credit facility to Kenya Medical Supplies Authority (KEMSA), guaranteeing commodity security across the country while promoting local manufacturing,” he stated.

Duale's other commitments at the ministry include ensuring KEMSA’s order fill rate reaches 90 per cent, with additional investments in the healthcare system, including a 24-hour call centre for TaifaCare to handle queries.

“We are committed to digitalising all public health facilities by 1st October 2025,” Duale said.

Duale affirmed that all system challenges would be addressed to ensure seamless service delivery, with a 24-hour call centre for TaifaCare already deployed to handle queries.

“We are also committed to digitalising all public health facilities by 1st October 2025,” Duale said.

Outgoing Health CS Deborah Barasa accompanied by Medical Services PS Harry Kimtai (left) while reading a press statement during the official handover to the newly appointed (right) Cabinet Secretary for Ministry of Health Aden Duale at Afya House on April 1, 2025. [Standard, Kanyiri Wahito]

Barasa highlighted key achievements, including the training of over 107,000 community health promoters, the digitisation of healthcare services through the Digital Health Authority and strengthened local manufacturing, now supplying more than 60 per cent of medical products to KEMSA.

Additionally, she underscored investments in cancer treatment centres in Mombasa, Nakuru, Garissa and Kisii, as well as the construction of 19 Level 4 hospitals across the country.

Recognising the strain on medical professionals, Duale stressed the importance of supporting healthcare workers.

“Our medical providers are the backbone of this system. We must create an environment where they can deliver their best, free from undue pressure and resource constraints,” he stated.

He also reaffirmed the government’s commitment to equitable healthcare access, particularly in marginalised areas.

“We cannot have a two-tier healthcare system where some Kenyans receive top-tier services while others struggle to access basic care. Equity must be our guiding principle,” he emphasised.

Furthermore, he highlighted plans to tackle the growing burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) by strengthening early detection programmes and investing in research.

“We must invest in preventive healthcare because treatment alone is not sustainable,” he noted.

As he assumed office, Duale assured stakeholders of continuity and collaboration. “This is a shared responsibility. I call on all health workers, policymakers and development partners to join hands in transforming Kenya’s healthcare landscape,” he urged.

Duale also addressed concerns over his lack of a background in health, dismissing doubts by pointing to his extensive legislative experience.

“All the laws governing this ministry passed through my hands when I was Majority Leader for over eight years. Leadership is about governance, not technical expertise,” he explained.

He also pointed out that most past health ministers were not medical professionals. “In the last 20 years, only two doctors have led this ministry. The rest were politicians, and they got the job done,” he added.

Duale further emphasised the importance of teamwork. “I don’t work alone. I rely on the dedicated professionals in this ministry, collaborate with the Cabinet and take advice from the President. My role is to ensure policies are well implemented,” he affirmed.

Reflecting on her tenure, Barasa described the past eight months as ‘eventful and transformative,’ citing major strides in advancing UHC.

She highlighted the enactment of four critical health laws: the Social Health Insurance Act, Primary Health Act, Facility Improvement Financing Act and Digital Health Act, which laid the groundwork for the SHA, replacing the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).

“There has been a 163 per cent increase in Social Health Insurance membership, with 21 million Kenyans now registered, up from 8 million under the defunct NHIF,” Barasa noted.

She further revealed that SHA has collected over Sh31.6 billion and settled claims totalling Sh24 billion, improving healthcare access nationwide.

With the transition now complete, attention turns to how the new CS will navigate ongoing reforms, tackle emerging healthcare challenges and fulfill his promises.

Business
Jubilee posts record Sh6b profit as gross premiums jump 34pc
Business
Trump tariffs threaten Kenya's Sh72b exports
Business
Portland cement issues Sh48m dividend to Treasury, NSSF
Business
IM bank eyes MSME's in quest for Western's market